Not a member? Become one today!
         iBerkshires     Berkshire Chamber     MCLA     City Statistics    
MCLA Ranked No. 7 Top Public Liberal Arts School in 2024 U.S. News and World Report
08:34AM / Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Print | Email  

NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (MCLA) has earned the No. 7 spot on the list of Top Public Liberal Arts Schools in the nation for a third year in a row. 
The College's continued commitment to affordable education and economic prosperity is reflected in the 2024 U.S. News and World Report with additional rankings: No. 1 for Top Performer on Social Mobility in the state, No. 2 in the country, and No. 22 for National Liberal Arts Colleges.  
MCLA has appeared on U.S. News' list of Top Ten Public Colleges for 9 consecutive years. The College has also been acknowledged in its list of National Liberal Arts Colleges for Social Mobility since the organization adopted this ranking in 2019. This list measures how well institutions graduate students who receive federal Pell Grants, typically awarded to students whose families make less than $50,000, though most Pell Grant money goes to families with income below $20,000.   
"Each year that MCLA appears in the Top Ten  Public College rankings I am reminded how incredibly committed our faculty and staff are when it comes to the growth and success of our Trailblazers by demonstrating an unwavering dedication to excellence," said President James F. Birge, Ph.D. "I am grateful to be part of an institution like MCLA that has made enormous improvements over the last year and its rankings for Top Performer on Social Mobility." 
 More than 42 percent of MCLA undergraduate students receive Pell Grants, and 51 percent are the first in their families to go to college. Overall, 93 percent of students receive some kind of financial aid.   
"Enrolling at MCLA makes such a difference on student and faculty lives as well as on the community at large," said Brenda Burdick, Chair of the MCLA Board of Trustees. "I'm truly amazed by the ongoing success of MCLA – an institution that consistently shines as a top-notch provider of  high quality, accessible, and affordable education. Being recognized as a Top Ten Public College affirms this commitment." 
U.S. News ranks colleges based on indicators that reflect a school's student body, its faculty, and its financial resources, along with outcome measures that signal how well the institution achieves its mission of educating students.   
For more information, go to    
More Featured Stories is owned and operated by: Boxcar Media 102 Main Sreet, North Adams, MA 01247 -- T. 413-663-3384
© 2011 Boxcar Media LLC - All rights reserved