MEMBER SIGN IN
Not a member? Become one today!
         iBerkshires     Berkshire Chamber     MCLA     City Statistics    
Search
Home About Archives RSS Feed
Hancock Firefighters Stop Vacation Village Blaze
By Andy McKeever, iBerkshires Staff
06:32PM / Monday, August 19, 2013

HANCOCK, Mass. — Firefighters snuffed out a blaze in a Vacation Village timeshare unit Sunday afternoon.

According to Fire Chief Dave Rash, firefighters responded to Vacation Village on Brodie Mountain Road at about 3:30 p.m. for reports of smoke. Rash said an overhead exhaust fan overheated and a fire spread into the attic area.

"It wasn't a very big fire but we had trouble finding it," Rash said on Monday.

There were no injuries and the fire was put out in about 20 minutes, Rash said. Housekeepers had noticed the smoke and management quickly evacuated the building prior to the department's arrival, he said.

"There were no problems other than it being a hot day and guys in full turnout gear," he said. "It was kind of tiring for the guys."

Stephentown, N.Y., firefighters also responded to the scene and Lanesborough was on call in Hancock's station. Two units suffered damage and those occupants affected had been moved to other units on the property.

Those staying in Unit 607 A, where the fire started, were not in the unit at the time, Rash said.

"The fire damage was all in the attic but there was smoke and water damage in the units underneath," he said.

0Comments
NorthAdams.com is owned and operated by: Boxcar Media 106 Main Sreet, P.O. Box 1787 North Adams, MA 01247 -- T. 413-663-3384 F.413-663-3615
© 2008 Boxcar Media LLC - All rights reserved